Not indulge on our birthday? AS IF! This cake is how we #BeSugarConscious while we get to have our cake and eat it too! Low in sugar (and even low in stevia), but loaded with tasty topping (we don’t mind a little cream on our birthday!). We promise you won’t even notice the sugar isn’t there…
– 150g of butter, melted.
– 2 eggs
– 2 tbsp of vanilla extract
– 1 cup of milk
– 2 cups of wholemeal self-raising flour
– 1/3 of a cup of powdered stevia
– a pinch of salt
ACAI LIME CREAM
– 500mls of thickened cream
– 125g of cream cheese
– Rind and juice of 1 small lime
– 2 tsp of Acai powder (check the packet to ensure there’s no added sugar)
– Fresh strawberries, blueberries and a sprinkle of The Muesli, of course!
1. Firstly, line and grease a 24cm spring form cake tin and pre-heat your oven to 160c.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together your butter and stevia.
3. Add the eggs and stir well, until the yolks have broken down.
4. Add the milk and vanilla, stirring carefully (beware of splashes!)
5. Add the flour and salt, and stir until a thick batter is formed.
6. Pour into the prepared tin and bake at 160c for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from the centre.
7. Allow the cake to cook completely.
8. While waiting, whip your cream until medium peaks form.
9. Add the cream cheese and lightly beat again, just until combined.
10. Add lime rind and juice, and stir gently.
11. Split the cream into 2 bowls.
12. In a small ramekin or jar, combine your Acai powder with 3 tsps of boiling water and stir well.
13. Add the acai to one of the bowls and mix well.
14. Once the cake is cooked, layer the acai cream on top, followed by the plain lime cream.