Serves - Depending how many left overs you have left!
The point of bubble and squeak? To use those delicious left over roast vegetables, peas, ham, chicken, spices, even buttery sauces and eggs from last night’s dinner. Quantities? Not important! Mix up what you love (mashed vegetables like potato, pumpkin or sweet potato help hold it together) and go for it! The below are just example quantities based on what we had in The Muesli kitchen. If you have other vegetables available to you left over from last night – use those! We want to reduce food wastage by using those left overs that usually just hang in the fridge for 4 days before finding their way to the trash…
- 4 large leftover boiled potatoes.
- 1/2 a butternut pumpkin, roasted
- 1 cup of peas
- That last bit of cheese that was wrapped in cling film waiting to be used…
- Salt & Pepper
- Oil (to coat the frying pan).
- Roughly mash the potato – just until you’re able to pick it up with a spoon rather than tongs.
- Add the pumpkin and combine, breaking up a little.
- Stir through the peas with some salt and pepper.
- Grease a medium non-stick frying pan.
- Press the bubble and squeak mixture into the fry pan, and top with cheese.
- Cook on the stove on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the bottom is crispy, delicious and golden.
- Finish under a hot grill until the cheese is bubbly and melted.